The Triton Fountain in piazza della Bocca della Verità in Rome – Restoration, rehabilitation and requalification interventions
Brief historical notes. The construction of the fountain began in 1717 by the will of Pope Clement XI Albani (1700-1721) in the square in front of the church of S. Maria in Cosmedin which, at the time, constituted the southern edge of the inhabited area within the walls. The project, which is inspired by Gian Lorenzo Bernini’s Tritone fountain, is attributed to the architect Francesco Carlo Bizzaccheri (1655-1721) who devised, in homage to the pontiff, a basin inspired by the eight-pointed star of the Albani family coat of arms. At the center of this rises a cliff adorned with tufts of vegetation, sculpted by Filippo Bai. Above the cliff, two kneeling tritons, with crossed tails, sculpted by Francesco Moratti, support a shell valve with a basin function, decorated on the sides by two monumental coats of arms of the Albani Family, and surmounted by a trimonzio from which the gush rises.